Saturday, November 27, 2010

A Few Pictures

This will be a short entry. I forgot to drop these into the Nikko entry I just did. Anyway, here you go... We don't have off work for Thanksgiving... so we celebrated today. I sneaked out of work two hours early on Friday so Denny and I could go to Japan Meat to get a chicken (or maybe a turkey). I wasn't impressed with Big Meat butcher.


Check out our Gi-normous chicken we found!!! I asked for a big chicken in perfect Japanese to the shop worker and he took me to a huge piece of beef. I am pretty sure I said it right. Anyway, I got my point across the second time and he took me to the chickens. He proceeded to talk about turkey and I got excited. I asked if he had one and he said no... Nice.


HA HA!!! just kidding, they were small. I was able to get Tyson Cornish hens or the larger chicken on the plate. I tried both so we knew for the next time we were at Japan Meat. This was about $20 in chicken.





Elin's center piece.











I tried to get a reference to how big the chickens were. I used my carving knife to show that it was actually bigger than the chickens. They were tasty, though.





I also found frozen green beans - for the first time. We have been here for 8 months and this is the first sign of canned or frozen green beans. They tasted like they came straight out of the garden.









At Japan meat, I have been seeing large steaks. The price is about 1000 yen ($12) for a big steak. I don't think that is too bad considering it is about 1.5 pounds - maybe 1.5 inches thick. Our whole family can eat off of one of them if we have a few side dishes. I bought 5 steaks, but two were smaller pieces. We grill out about once every week or two. Japanese people don't seem to grill at their houses much. They probably think we are weird since we do it regularly. Anyway... can't wait to eat this one. I brought my vacuum sealer so I went all out buying meat for the month. Japan Meat is kind of a haul to get there so I usually spend a lot when I go. Along with the steaks, I got 4 packs of chicken thighs and ground pork. Not sure what I am going to do with the ground pork, but it was on sale at half off so I could not resist. I think we might try our hand at making gyoza.

No comments:

Post a Comment