Saturday, March 12, 2011

Earthquake Update 1

I wanted to write a quick update in case anyone is checking the blog... I will add more later.

Everyone is OK. I was at work, Savannah was at school and Elin/Denny were home when the quake hit at 2:45 PM. We were able to come together by about 7:30 PM Friday night. I was the straggler since I was not allowed to leave work until after 6:00 or so. We spent the first night in the car since we were told to do so.

We got power and water back last night. We will have the magic jack on if you would like to call, but at this point, we are kind of "camping" so we are often out of the house. Several of our friends have pulled together in terms of meals and support so we have been moving around the neighborhood. Our area is nowhere as bad at what you are seeing on the news. We lost a lot of our roof tiles and the drywall is cracked in every room, but I think we are OK structurally.

We are periodically feeling aftershocks - the first night seemed like every 10 minutes or so. Everyone is still on edge... in fact, one just started right now... Just a small one, though. It kind of feels like you are on a boat except everything is moving...

Anyway, we are having everyone for a pancake brunch so I have to be brief. It is our turn to cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment