Saturday, May 15, 2010

Pic of the week

You see many things here is Japan. Some funny, some confusing and some that are somewhat shocking. I have several examples already. I am going to try to add a picture every week or so to this specific blog entry so take a look from time to time. Comments are appreciated because I am not sure who is checking in on us.

Beware, there will be some PG-13 (and higher) material added. I will start off light until this entry is archived. For those faint at heart, you might want to avoid this one. The things you see on a daily basis definitely add to my experience and I want to share some of it.
Restaurant in Utsunomiya. I think I took this on my way home from one of my driving tests.






Who came up with the name for this media store?
























Ummm, the 80's called and they said that they wanted their hairdo back. I wonder how old this sign really is...















This is no joke... We saw this add in front of a burger chain when we stayed in Utsunomiya. It looks like a poster child for clogged arteries. I believe it is 10 patties and 10 slices of cheese. And veggies? We don't need no stinking vegetables!!! I think I see a pickle. Does that count? I hope it comes with a knife and fork.





The first bit of Japanese says "Tower Cheese Burger". It was only 990 yen ($10) so I wa reeeaaalllly tempted to stop and get one. This puts Burger King's Triple Whopper to shame.












The best band name ever. Haven't heard their music, but if the band name has any kind of truth, they might not be so good.











This place is not what you think it is... It is actually a golf store. We are told that the 'booby prize' here is Japan is actually the second to last prize. I have no idea what last prize is.









I bought some peanuts at the grocery store while I was in the hotel during my first two weeks. I didn't catch this until I got back to the hotel. I could not help taking a picture of it.








Uhhhh... I appreciate the offer, but actually... I just wanted a snack.











During my first two weeks, I was stationed in a hotel in Utsunomiya. I had jet lag pretty bad this trip which is not common for me. I woke up at 3:00 or 4:00 in the morning on the first day (and for 7-8 days after). After trying to fall back asleep, I gave up and walked to Bell Mall and back - maybe a half an hour each way. Interestingly enough, I heard "Hey Dustin" as I crossed a street. One of the NATG associates was on his way to work and he recognized me.

I passed by Harry's Sweet Nail Salon and could not resist taking a picture. I have to imagine how 'sweet' this place is on the inside because I could not go in. They were still closed. I also believe that this is the first picture that I took after leaving the states. Harry's will be in my heart forever. Maybe I should have gone back to get my toes cleaned after the rice planting. They would have freaked out.

No comments:

Post a Comment